Bebout, Potere, Cox & Bennion, P.C.
Call Now For The Answers You Need:
Your Story Is Important And We Listen To Every Word Of It.
View Our Practice Areas

Rochester Law Blog

Divorce after the birth of a child

For every couple going through a divorce, the circumstances surrounding their situation are different. Some people who end their marriage have a high net worth and significant assets, while others may be less concerned about property division, alimony, and other financial issues associated with divorce. Some people may be able to work together amicably, others may find themselves in bitter disputes over various family law matters. Some people end their marriage without any children, while others may have many kids or a child who was recently born.

If you or your spouse recently gave birth, there are a number of factors you may want to consider if you are bringing your marriage to an end. First, focusing on the child's best interests should be a priority and you should do what you can to reduce your stress levels. From determining how child custody will be set up to preparing yourself for child support payments (whether you will be receiving payments or are expected to pay), there are many different legal issues involving your child that should be taken into account.

Child support and anxiety

There are many areas of family law which can be difficult for people to work through, but those involving a person's kids can be particularly tough. Aside from a dispute involving the custody of children, people may also experience negative emotions due to child support, whether they are obligated to pay support or are supposed to receive payments. It is pivotal to handle these matters properly and address any negative emotions, which may include depression, anxiety or even anger.

When a parent loses a custody battle, negative feelings can be overwhelming. It is crucial for parents to know what their options are with respect to child custody and do all they can to increase the chances of a favorable outcome which serves their child's best interests. Child support can generate extreme levels of stress for parents on each side. If a parent cannot afford to pay what they owe, they could worry about the consequences they might face, including being taken into custody. On the other hand, parents who are supposed to receive child support payments could struggle to pay bills and handle other responsibilities if their child's other parent fails to make payments on time.

Have you and your spouse agreed on a legal separation?

Let us say that you and your spouse have been struggling with marital problems for a long while. You still have feelings for each other but need some time apart.

On the other hand, you might need to resolve some religious or financial issues. You are considering divorce, but perhaps a legal separation is the best solution for the problems you are facing in your marriage.

Adjusting your lifestyle to stay current on child support

Splitting up with a marital partner can make life tough in different ways, from losing the ability to spend as much time with your child as you would like to relocation and adjusting to living by yourself. However, the financial impact of a divorce can be tough in various ways, especially if you are required to pay child support. Parents may struggle to make their child support payments on time for all sorts of reasons but if they fall behind, the consequences may be devastating.

If you lost your job or expect to be fired, it is crucial to start preparing for the impact of this loss at once. You may be able to modify your child support order due to significant life changes, which may also be the result of a medical condition or some other problem that arose unexpectedly, but you might want to look into other ways to ensure that you do not fall behind on child support. For example, you may want to adjust your lifestyle and look for ways to save money.

Ending your marriage over infidelity

Couples decide that the time to divorce has come for various reasons, whether they simply cannot get along, disagree about major life issues or are tired of being married. In some cases, divorce comes into the picture as a result of an affair. If you and your marital partner are considering divorce due to infidelity, it is important to approach the process from the right angle. Divorce due to a spouse cheating can be especially emotional for some people, so it is crucial to prevent any negative emotions such as depression or anger from interfering with your divorce.

There are many ways in which people have affairs, especially in the digital age. For example, someone may find out that their spouse has been using a dating app or maintaining a relationship over the internet. Affairs can be incredibly emotional for all parties and while some couples are able to work through an affair, others are not. If you and your spouse are discussing the idea of splitting up or you are already going through a divorce, it is important to understand what your options are and try to work through the end of your marriage as smoothly as possible.

The consequences of false domestic violence accusations

When it comes to domestic violence, there are many issues to consider. For example, these cases can be incredibly difficult for victims who have been subjected to abuse, but they can also present challenges for those facing charges--even if they are innocent. When someone faces false accusations of this offense, they should understand what is at stake, especially if they are involved in a dispute regarding the custody of a child, for example. Moreover, they should take steps to bring out the truth in court.

False domestic violence allegations may arise during the divorce process due to one spouse being upset and attempting to exact revenge or gain leverage in a custody dispute. Sometimes, people accused of this offense feel like giving up or are not sure what their rights are. After all, these allegations carry a terrible stigma and it can be difficult for some people to defend themselves in the wake of these claims.

Reviewing your estate plan following an auto wreck

There are many reasons why people decide to look over their estate plan, whether they split up with their marital partner or simply have a change of heart. However, some people need to revise their estate plan following a car crash that has brought major changes into their lives, both physically and financially as well. Motor vehicle collisions can disrupt a person's life in many different ways and it is essential for those who are struggling with the consequences of a wreck to do all they can to recover, which may include ensuring that their estate will be distributed properly.

For starters, some car accident victims experience major financial changes in the wake of a crash. For example, if a reckless driver caused the accident and they sustained serious injuries or lost a loved one, they may be entitled to significant compensation, which may necessitate the revision of an estate plan. For some people, these financial changes may prompt them to set up an estate plan as well. Other ways a crash could affect an estate plan include making changes because of lost wages due to an inability to work or losing a spouse in a collision.

3 crucial tips for the divorce process

Divorce is such a tough and exhausting process, especially when you compare it to the beginning of your marriage. It is inevitable for you to go through a lot of intense emotions throughout your divorce. While your tempers may be running high, it is crucial to realize that the actions you take now will influence your emotions, finances and family for many years. 

Because almost everything you do during your divorce has major implications, it is imperative that you try to make careful decisions. Here are some helpful tips on what you should and should not do as your marriage ends:

Family law issues and stress reduction

For those who are dealing with family law matters, high levels of stress may be a daily challenge. Whether someone is involved in a dispute regarding the custody of their children, is having difficulty paying the child support they owe or cannot sleep because they are worried about how marital property will be divided by the court, there are many different family law matters that can generate stress. However, it is vital to reduce stress for a number of reasons.

Not only does stress reduction make life easier for one in different ways, whether they perform better at work or are able to sleep easier at night, but it can even help improve one's chances of success in court. After all, stress can interfere with someone's ability to prepare their case and present themselves well in the courtroom, which can be crucial for a parent who is in the middle of a contentious custody dispute, for example. There are many ways that people can aim to lower anxiety and those who carefully review their case and the laws in their state to develop a better understanding of their options may be able to find peace of mind and reduce their anxiety.

The emotional impact of a dispute over custody

A child custody decision can have a major impact on the lives of both parents and their kids. During a dispute, tensions may arise and some people have to work through particularly challenging disagreements. It is important to do what you can to resolve the dispute amicably, but some custody disputes are going to be bitter regardless. Unfortunately, these disputes can have a strong emotional impact on those involved, so it is vital for you to do what you can to address these emotions if you are feeling depressed or angry.

During a custody dispute, a parent's emotions may become so strong that they behave in a way which adversely affects their case, such as making threats or acting out against their child's other parents. After all, there is so much at stake and some parents fear that their relationship with their children will be hurt by the outcome of the case. Moreover, some may feel depressed or hopeless because of their circumstances, which can also be counter-productive. Disputes related to child custody can also be difficult for children as well. Some children may be worried that they will not be able to see their parent very often or could be affected by stress associated with the dispute.

Contact Information

Bebout, Potere, Cox & Bennion, P.C.
821 North Main Street
Rochester, MI 48307

Phone: 248-805-1959
Fax: 248-651-8923
Map & Directions